Why Internet of Things (IoT) is a term used to define a network which connects various web-based electronic devices enabling different kinds of services. IoT is a new revolution in the world of technology, which connects many devices together to provide effective services. These devices could be anything ranging from smart phones, medical instruments, measuring instruments, home appliances, cameras etc., which are highly adaptable and can be connected to any network for effective data collection and transfer. IoT is expected to be in high demand for its complex-yet-useful features which is set to improve the quality of consumer services.
Why Internet of Things ? IoT has a high potential to deliver effective results by connecting things at any place, anywhere, and practically on any available network with minimal resources. With IoT, any type of communication is possible by extending internet to all the devices connected within the network. IoT promises to bridge the gap between network and many connected devices, enabling effective understanding of the systems and deliver excellent results. IoT’s semantic sharing system with complex access to different technologies makes it an intelligent interface on internet to communicate with social, user and many other areas.
Why Internet of Things ?
Technology is taking over our daily life activities, growing exponentially, be it just a walk, cooking, residential systems, washing machines, every activity involves usage of electronic devices. With the advent of technology, many mundane and lethargic jobs are automated and can be done much faster now. Also, the younger generation are extremely dependant on electronic devices for social media, communication and many other activities. IoT can be used for the following, but not limited to:
- Communication – Since IoT can be connected to many systems, the communication between them is an important reason for the total transparency with lesser inefficiencies and greater quality.
- Monitoring and Efficient –IoT systems are connected with sensors and many monitoring devices. This helps in saving money and time, making IoT systems efficient.
- Flexible configuration – IoT comprises of many devices specialized for different activities. Since technology is evolving, it gives a scope to use new systems hence giving boost to new business ventures and hence making IoT a flexible configuration to use.
- Automation and control – Without human intervention, the connected systems can produce large and perfect output, making IoT an efficient architecture in use.
- Technology and human integrator – With the advancement of technology, since all the manual activities are handled through automation, IoT acts as a technology and human integrator, hence making it a beneficial technology to use.
IoT application areas
IoT has applications across all the markets and industries. Its uses spans across areas where individuals wants to automate their elongated, regular work, and also in places where the processes needs to be streamlined. Why Internet of Things is not limited? Here is a few examples of IoT in the technology-evolving world, but not limited to, are as follows:
- Smart home security
- Internet connected mirror
- Sense by Hello
- Budweiser Red Light
- Smart washing machine
- Hydroponic system
Disadvantages of IoT
Undoubtedly, IoT is a revolution in the internet world, but it is also vulnerable to many security concerns and thus comes with a huge set of challenges that users must face.
- Compatibility and complexity issues – As many devices from different manufacturers are interconnected in IoT, there is always a compatibility issue, also complexity arises when such systems are connected. It’s diverse and complex in nature, causing inconvenience.
- Security/Privacy/Safety – Involvement of multi-branded and multiple devices makes IoT a vulnerable system to be hacked or security breach
- Lesser Employment staff – Since technology and automation takes over the manual tasks, the employment for the staff working on individual systems are at scarce.
Future of IoT
Although, IoT comes with a few disadvantages, one cannot ignore the way it eases the lives of many by automation, sensors, networking etc.
Interoperability and adaptability
The development of technologies in the fields such as sensors, semiconductor devices, communications etc., makes it essential that they all should be adaptable in order to bring in advancements in the fields of IoT. These devices should be enhanced and developed in such a way that they are recognizable and connectable to IoT and be operating in all environments. IoT aims at integrating the existing and the future devices with internet as the medium to communicate and exchange data. However, heterogeneity of all the devices and their interoperability in different layers is a foreseen challenge when experts think about expanding IoT in a global scale. In future it should be such that these devices should be able configuring them to be easily integrated with other systems in IoT cloud.
Since many devices are connected within IoT, there is a need for proper infrastructure to support the network and the connections, for effective performance. The complexity which arises due to many software devices, the infrastructure should be effectively planned to manage and support the smart objects of the network.
Security and privacy
In IoT, the network connections formed using many devices with internet, it’s essential that IoT provides security to the devices which are used to exchange personal information.
Due to its heterogeneous nature of various technologies and communication devices, IoT’s capability is beyond imagination at the present, but it has lot of scope of improvements and enhancements to face such challenges.
In summary, Internet of Things promises to deliver excellent services with customers and in the enterprises’ productivity. Because of its intelligent network, widely spread network of smart devices, IoT applications has the potential to enhance the extensions to various services in the fields of healthcare, transportation, security, smart devices, utilities, education and many more areas.
A very intelligent approach is needed in order to expedite the process and bring the dreams to reality in IoT to meet the differing demands generated in different areas and fields. A common understanding of IoT will enable the industry stakeholders to collaborate more effectively in order to propel the market for the benefit of consumers.
The views expressed here are completely of the author’s, but in case you wish to have a complete knowledge of Internet of Things IoT technology or online training needs, you can browse through the topics in click4learning. You can also share your thoughts through the same.