Have you ever wondered how your entered text is translated to a different language? How the words you speak is taken in a system and matching data is displayed? Thanks to the Language translation and voice recognition of Google, which enables these advancements. Artificial Intelligence has come a long way in the fields of language translator, voice recognition etc. and has been continuously evolving.
Artificial Intelligence is the art of making a computer and computer-controlled devices or software think intelligently similarly as human think. We as humans are getting better day by day, and thus enabling the systems around us grow and function intelligently. AI is a broad branch of computer science which creates functions that can run intelligently and independently. AI has been growing exponentially in the last decade and has been touching our lives without our knowledge. AI will probably be the one of the most important breakthroughs of the 21st century, and has immense potential enabling machines to learn and improve machine’s performance.
From the time it evolved, AI has come a long way and has spread its roots in various fields, making it irreplaceable and an inevitable invention. Although it has established itself in almost all fields, in a gist, we can summarise that AI covers almost all the fields shown below:
AI application areas
AI takes up tasks based on many factors, a few to name are intelligence, complexity and continuity. However, these tasks are classified as Expert tasks, Mundane tasks and Formal tasks.
Expert tasks – As the name suggests, these tasks are the ones performed by experts and needs utmost precision and knowledge pertaining to each field. Some of the expert AI tasks are financial analysis, scientific analysis, medical diagnosis, engineering etc.
Mundane tasks – These tasks are done by humans since birth, by perception, practice and general knowledge. These are considered as the easiest tasks to perform, as they are performed on a daily basis. When it comes to AI, the mundane tasks are much more complex as they have to be implemented on machines.
Formal tasks – These are the generic tasks performed by a computer on a daily basis, like performing mathematical operations, playing games and verification processes. Again, it involves knowledge of subjects and also how to get these tasks implemented.
AI – Little history
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is as old as computers started in 1930, in the form of computers. The future was challenging, but the experts were determined to progress in the following ways:
- 1941 Konrad Zuse, Germany, general purpose computer
- 1943 Britain (Turing and others) Colossus, for decoding
- 1945 ENIAC, US. John von Neumann a consultant
- 1956 Dartmouth Conference organized by John McCarthy (inventor of LISP). The term Artificial Intelligence was coined at Dartmouth, which was intended as a two month study.
AI in different fields
After AI was discovered way back in 1356, the technology has evolved exponentially and in the last few years, AI has been used in various fields for the betterment of the mankind. A few of them are listed here:
- Used by researchers to analyse images from satellite to identify which area has highest poverty levels
- Used in aviation industry for issuing gate allocation for planes while landing and ticket price determination
- Although not quite famous yet, but AI is being used in education industry where an artificial robot is used for teaching biology computers etc. to children
- Healthcare industry to analyse the health history of a person and to predict what kind of diseases the patient is more prone to
- Heavy-machinery industry uses robots and AI in the jobs that are repetitive and might cause accidents or mistakes, in case done by humans for a longer duration.
- Finance industry uses AI for algorithmic trading and market analysis, portfolio management, and personal finance to name a few.
There have been various developments in all the fields. When it comes to AI, there is no end for creativity and usability of AI. A few companies and technology experts have been constantly thriving to bring in revolutions in the field of AI, and have been extremely successful in their inventions.
- Wordsmith, is an automated insights software platform is used for writing car descriptions and fancy football recaps. A few companies also use this program for writing about their earnings.
- Self-driving cars, which uses GPS for getting a rough location of a car, recognize traffic lights and road markings, detect road works, and other drivers on the road for safe navigation.
- Self-driving helicopters like K-max which can be used as a fire-fighter as it can carry and drop 2,800 gallons of water on the fire.
- Vigilante, a helicopters used for stopping hijackers, combining the features of a drone, a plane and trained shooters.
- AARON, a computer program written by artist Harold Cohen creates original artistic images.
- IBM WATSON, using AI is a natural language answering machine, it access 90 servers with a combined data of over 200million pages of information.
Challenges in AI
Although AI has been advancing exponentially, it poses challenges for society and humanity. As they are very complex modules involving extreme hard work to bring in perfection in minute things, it’s very difficult to audit, unlike the normal software programs which are comparatively easier to read and understand their purpose and functionality.
As a few AI programs are capable of understanding languages and translation, it is a threat to privacy of documents, emails, telephonic conversations etc. If such conversations are not secure, its possible that the data might land into wrong hands.
Growth in AI also poses a threat to human dignity, as in jobs. In a few industries like heavy machinery, AI is replacing the intervention of human beings and converting the tasks into faster, simpler and effective. For its efficiency, AI is highly capable of replacing many mundane or continuous jobs which are as on today being done by human beings manually.
Even though AI comes with so many advantages, the threat to humanity, security and its functional operability cannot be ruled out. Problem solving is an important aspect of AI, and it has been a proven profitable invention in almost all the fields which utilize modern technology and human intelligence.
With effective experiments, research and study, it is very much possible to bring in positive changes with the use of AI, without affecting the existence of humanity.